This is a recipe I am shamelessly stealing from Paleo Grubs because it is fucking delicious AND healthy. I modified it a bit because I thought it would be delicious with just a little bit of shredded cheddar added on. Turns out I was right. It does add about 90 calories and 7 grams of fat per serving, so feel free to omit it if you want. It’s worth it in my book.
- 4 Bell Peppers (about 24oz total; any color, the supermarket had a pack of 4 multi-color which was perfect for me!)
- 8 Large, Grade-A Eggs
- 2 Cups of Chopped, White Mushrooms (size after chopping, weight after chopping was approximately 6 oz)
- 2 Cups of Chopped Broccoli Florets (size after chopping, weight after chopping was approximately 6 oz)
- 1/2 Tsp Cayenne Pepper
- Salt and Pepper, To Taste
- 3/4 Cup of Shredded White Cheddar (I used Nature’s Promise Organic)
- Preheat Oven to 375 F.
- Dice up your mushrooms and broccoli into small chunks.
- Crack eggs into a bowl. Sprinkle cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper onto eggs. Beat together with a whisk until consistent.
- Mix the eggs and chopped veggies together into a big bowl.
- Slice the peppers in half. Try to ensure a flat side. Green and Red Peppers seemed to be mostly symmetrical which allowed flat bottoms. I had problems with the Orange and Yellow Peppers.
- Fill the peppers with the mixture of broccoli, mushrooms, and cheese. I used a 2/3 cup measure and it seemed to fill each pepper pretty well!
- Place the peppers on a baking sheet and bake for approximately 35 minutes.
- After 35 minutes, pull the peppers out and top them with the shredded cheese.
- Bake for an additional 5 minutes, until the cheese has melted and is just starting to brown.
- Let cool for approximately 5 minutes.
- Slice in half, top with hot sauce (optional but delicious). Enjoy. 🙂
Serves approximately 4 (1 pepper each).
296 Calories, 18 grams of fat, 22 grams of protein, 16 grams of carbohydrates, 6 grams of fiber, 8 grams of sugar.
Enjoy folks! This one is pretty damn tasty!