I got a juicer last fall, just in time for the weather to change and make it basically useless. Juicing old vegetables and fruits that aren’t super fresh seems to kind of defeat the purpose to me. They lose that bright and vibrant flavor, at least in my opinion.
That being said, it’s now spring! Yay! I got my first batch of super fresh, direct-from-the-farmers-market veggies and fruits. I had been experimenting with a bunch of recipes from Fern’s Nutrition and found that I liked a lot of them. After I had experimented with those though, I decided to make a leap and make up my own concoctions. The one I’m presenting to you today is Orange Carrot Beet juice. It’s delicious, hearty (from the carrots and beets) but VERY sweet (from the oranges). I love to have it before breakfast, on my ride to work. 1/3 of the recipe is enough to last me (feeling satisfied and not hungry) from 6:30am to 9:30am.
The recipe for two servings was:
6 Medium-Sized Oranges, Peeled; Pre-Peel Weight Was ~1100 grams, I will post the exact number tonight.
4 Medium-Sized Carrots, Trimmed and Washed (but not Peeled); Post-Wash Weight was ~250 grams, I will post the exact number tonight.
2 Medium-Sized Beets, Trimmed and Washed (but not Peeled); Post-Wash Weight was ~300 grams, I will post the exact number tonight.
1 1-Inch Thumb of Ginger, Trimmed; Post-Trim Weight was 10 grams.
- Put ginger in juicer, top with oranges. Juice it.
- Put carrots in juicer. Juice it.
- Put beets in juicer. Juice it.
- Mix all the juices together.
- Get a strainer (and optionally some cheese cloth). Lay the cheese cloth in the strainer and put the strainer over a large bowl.
- Pour the mixed juices into the strainer/cheese cloth combination and use a spatula to work it through. It will take a few minutes.
- Collect the corners of the cheese cloth and bring them together, balling up what is left in there and squeezing it a few times to get what’s left of the juice.
- Chill for about an hour.
Nutrition Information (Entire Recipe which makes 2-3 servings):
(This information is generated from the Juice Recipe Builder and I cannot vouch for it beyond saying I use it and am happy with it)
Calories from Fat: 15.78
Total Fat: 1.75g
Total Carbohydrate: 128.56g
Total Protein: 12.37g